Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Volunteer's Story

This Blog is about Reiki, and about Hospice, and this week i received an email from a Seasons Hospice Volunteer that brought home to me what Hospice and Reiki are both all about. Seasons Honors Life and Offers Hope; Reiki procedes from 5 basic principles: 1) i will not worry just for today 2) i will not be angry just for today 3) i will be grateful just for today 4) i will work hard today and 5) i will do kindness today

Louise is a Seasons Volunteer, and a student in our Seasons Reiki Class. She herself, has been battling serious illness, and still has significant residual disability.

Put aside anger for what she has been through, worry about what she herself faces, Louise works hard for us, and demonstrates a gratefulness for her capacity to give kindness to others.

The stories of courage and kindness that i see in Hospice every day, make me proud to be working with this wonderful Team.

Here is a Volunteer's story:


I used my walker when I went to the Assisted Living and had no problem. In fact, it came in quite useful when there were clearly no chairs for me to use in the T.V. room as all the patients were there watching t.v. I was able just to pull up my walker and sit there and spend time with both patients.It is a bariatric walker with a padded seat and little wire rack underneath for me to store oxygen, my purse etc. I didn't take any oxygen as I don't use it any more but had my lunch in there and a few other items.

One patient, Betty, who is 90, was quite lethargic and sleeply. Her hands were purple and icey. Jean started working on her hands and that guided me to do the same. I massaged and sent energy to both hands and they turned pink and became warm. Later I helped to feed her, with some difficulty. She loved ice cream and ate that with gusto! When I told her that I was leaving and would see her next week, she pursed her lips together and made the sound of a kiss and said "that is for you."

The other patient was Bill. He reminded me of my father, who by the time of his passing, did not make any sense in his communications. Bill had much more clarity and a subtle sense of humor. When I said goodbye to him and told him I would see him next week, he said "Is that official" and I said yes. So you see I have bonded with them and perhaps they have bonded with me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment