Friday, May 15, 2009

Roger

I have just watched a video sent to me by Roger for the 3rd time. I am moved to be included in an email that Roger sent out to his friends. I am moved by the courage and faith of this human being, a person, who understood without being taught the basic principles Behind Usui Reiki Ryoho, "The Secret Method of Inviting Happiness." Roger does not get angry, in spite of provocation, he is grateful almost every day, and in the midst of his own suffering he reaches out with kindness to others.

Roger has given me permission to tell his story, he is a patient at a Nursing Facility who lost the use of both his legs about 20 years ago. He battles multiple other medical problems, but until about 6 months ago, he would leave the Nursing Facility to do vounteer work at a nearby school. Roger had an electric wheelchair, and it gave him freedom, and he gave of himself to others.

Some months ago, two harsh blows hit us, first Roger's electric wheelchair was broken in an accident, and second, he fell, and broke his left leg. He went to the Orthopedist and was told it would never heal.

That was a sad day, and i decided to tell Roger about Reiki, and, myself and an excellent Level 1 student of mine began doing Reiki with Roger and on his leg. We hoped it might help, with a goal of allowing him to at least get out of bed again. For 2 months, Roger was in bed, and we were trying Reiki, and, in a day we looked forward to, he went to see his Orthopedist. That afternoon was the saddest i have ever seen Roger, he looked at me and said. "Dr Bob, i am broken and i can't be fixed. The Orthopedist said there was no healing at all." And that meant, that he could not even get out of bed. I examined the leg myself, and the pain that had been present at the time of the fracture was gone, and the leg felt more solid, i believed that perhaps a "flibrous union" had occurred. That means that, the bones had been sealed together with connective tissue, not a boney union, not enough to stand or walk on, but enough to be free of pain and get out of bed. As Roger said when i suggested that, "Dr Bob, i haven't walked in 20 years, i won't try to stand."

I called the Orthopedist myself to discuss the situation. I explained what we were trying to do with the Reiki, and ended up saying "I believe there is a fibrous union that you cannot see on the X Ray." There was a moment of silence on the other end of the phone. "I don't know anything about Reiki," he said, "and you cannot see fibrous union on an X Ray, and even if there is a fibrous union if he tries to walk it will come apart."

"He hasn't tried to walk in over 20 years," i said, "and if he can get out of bed, if it will make a huge difference in his life." The Orthopedist thought over what i was saying, and agreed, "i have no problem with him getting up now with the fibrous union, that will be fine as long as he doesn't put weight on it."

I wrote the orders on the chart and brought the news back to Roger. Now the fight was on to get the electric wheelchair fixed! Finally, funding was found.

A warm sunny May day, really a perfect day, with Reiki energy pouring down on us, and Roger got to go outside with his new electric wheelchair. A friend took a video of him, outside, in his own chair, letting everyone know he was back, "and ready to go to birthday parties" or whatever his many friends could dream up. And Roger sent that video out as an email attachment to all his friends, and it came to me as well.

I sat and watched that video over and over, and likely will again. I thought about Roger being so grateful, and how, i had really done so little. Whether we call it Reiki, or by some other name, there is an energy that connects us all, a spiritual force, and that is what healed Roger. Not me, not my education, not my medications, and even with my Reiki - only a vessel. And there are so many people who we cannot heal, cannot cure, for whom, all we can offer is human connection, and that we care.

In the meantime, watching that short video, i can feel the energy of the sun shining down on Roger, and i feel warmed by it. And very grateful that he shared his journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment