Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mabel

The name and some details have been changed to protect confidentiality, but the conversation is accurate. Reiki does not have to be done in a "formal" way, nor, does Reiki energy which is universal need to be "named." Once one is connected to Reiki energy, it is a part of who you are, and a part of what you do. But this story is not about me, nor is it about Reiki, it is about Mabel.

This month, i visited Mabel at a Nursing Home. She was being offered Hope in living the last days of her life with support from Seasons Hospice. I went to evaluate Mabel for management of her pain.

When i arrived i said "Hello" and sat down. Mabel said "I am ready to go, I can't stand this suffering anymore, i am not used to living like this." I listened. I placed my hand on her clothed shoulder, and i felt that she could benefit from the support of simple touch. Within calling it "Reiki," an energy channel opened through my hand.

"I woke up in the middle of the night and was running down the hall," she said. "I know i really wasn't running in the hall." She looked at me. I sat still, my hand on her shoulder, silent and grounded and open in acceptance. I nodded to her.

"My husband was in the hall, right outside my room. But he wasn't really there. He died 10 years ago. We had been married 51 years. He called to me and said he was waiting for me."

I nodded and sat there. "He's been waiting for you for 10 years," I said, "and i am sure he will wait for you a little longer." I could see her vision of them being together in this life and in another life.

"You can keep him waiting a little longer," I said. "He is used to waiting for you, and the wait adds to his joy when you are with him."

"I know." She said. "He always waits for me." "You will be with him soon enough," I said. "In the meantime, we will be sure that you don't have any pain here."

I knew that the pain from the cancer in her body was still there, and the shortness of breath from the disease in her lungs was still there, but she was no longer suffering. She had a huge smile on her face.

"You are a nice doctor," she said. "You are a very nice person," I said, "and i am sure that he will wait for you."

When i went on to the next room, I felt a deep sense of humility at having being allowed into this moment. I really hadn't done anything beyond serving as a channel. I had listened. Pain is simply a thing attached to the physical body, but, she had overcome her suffering by reaching beyond her own physical body to the spirit of someone she loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment