Monday, May 17, 2010

A Reiki Tribute

I was going to wait and not write my next Blog till early June, but I needed to tell this story today. It is a tribute to people who exemplify the Reiki admonitions - recently someone entered my hospice who I had known in better times. He was a person who has been known as kind and caring and compassionate to others, and as he said "last time was someone else's time, next time is someone else's time, now its my turn."

It never ceases to amaze me when I see people who are near transition, who turn their attention to caring for other people. Anyone can thank the Creator when they are on top of the world, won the game, full of success, a different story facing Transition. "I have a few things I want to get squared away" - and what are these - "letters to people who are very dear to me."

Do you believe you will have another mortal life? "Reincarnation - I don't know, but if God places me in another form, he will be with us."

Someone who is full of Love and Faith, lacks Fear and Worry and is overflowing with gratefulness.

I was deeply moved.

We sometimes examine trees so closely we miss the beauty of the forest. Another friend told me recently we "need to have the view from 40,000 feet." It is not always so easy. I was shown a picture the other day of a young child with a brain tumor, and tried to send Reiki energy.

But do we always understand the results of what we do? Once I listened to a sermon, and a wise person noted, "when God wants to correct something in the world he sends a child." But what does that exactly mean?

I was once told a story of a child who was seriously injured, blinded and disabled. The child was dying, but someone in desparation saved the life. In heaven this created a dilemma, the child was meant to be reborn as a Lama, but Heaven worked within the laws of the Created world, and this required the death to occur at the "right moment." Another child had to take the place of the dying Lama, die, and be reborn at the "right time."

The first child who had been saved lived a life of suffering, and went through a cycle of two more difficult lives. His spirit though, grew, and his sense of compassion deepened. Finally a time came and he was reborn a Lama - it was a time when compassion was so sorely needed, and he changed the world (at least a little bit) for the better.

We often don't really know to whom we are talking. We can work along side someone, and they can have a "less important job," but unbeknownst to us, they can have compassion and wisdom. If only we would take the time to listen - before they transition on.

That was how I felt today. I went to work expecting to try to help others, and found myself sitting transfixed, asking questions and being gifted with a sense of appreciation of life.

I keep in mind what another wise teacher said, that I should not take very much pride in accomplishments. We are, I was reminded, "only clay vessels."

For every child who cannot be healed in this life, for the co worker who transitions from colleague to patient, let us not simply care for them, but be open to receiving the gifts they offer us. Reiki is always a two way street. See them not simply as a broken body, but as a rising spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment