Sunday, August 8, 2010

Reiki and the Craniosacral Reflex

This past weekend I was sharing with friends, and was reminded of the importance of the incredible volume of work on Craniosacral therapy. The first portion of Hugh Milne's incredible book, "The Heart of Listening: A Visionary approach to Craniosacral work" presents interesting counterpoint to what we are doing in Reiki.

Imagine a series of bodily reflexes that motion of the eyes, or portions of the head or jaw, to the whole torse, down to the feet. Imagine a reflex wave that can be quantified. Imagine that such a wave follows the meridians discussed in bio-field healing. Imagine further, that Reiki training may be permitting the Reiki practitioner to "perceive" somehow, this wave.

To imagine this further, my recommendation for the moment is to find a copy of Hugh Milne's book, and to read the early sections. This book resonated for me.

In teaching, explaining or talking about Reiki, there is another question for which I do not have the answer. This past week, I gave a session on Simple Touch and Compassionate Presence for a group of employees at a nursing home. For many reasons, I was speaking about the simplest aspects of Reiki - and encouraging caregivers to clear their own minds of haste, anger or worry prior to approaching another person; to be certain they did not startle the other person, and to simply use a light tough of the hands to the person's hands to be calming, nothing "invasive," not "massage" and certainly not even a full "level 1" Reiki. This audience was a little sceptical even of techniques that border on main stream, and I decided to do a simple demonstration with two quite skeptical volunteers.

With their permission I performed a simple Reiju on each of them. In both cases they were surprised at the amount of heat that was generated, I had not physically touched either of them, nor intended a "Reiki level."

And one of them said,"my hands became really hot." And quickly someone in the front row said, "that's not possible." And the volunteer asked if she could touch that person's hands, and with permission did - she said, "how do you do that, her hands are really hot."

Well, in truth, we know in Reiki what we do, and we have "constructs" for what has occurred, but as yet, we do not truly know "for sure," nor perhaps does it really matter. What really matters is the intention of compassion.

In doing Reiki though, I have not really felt that I was becoming more "powerful" or that my "vibrations were faster" - I can feel the "heat" and I can transmit that, but it is more for me a sense of being a simple channel, a "catalyst" if you will, not really more powerful and not really a part of the healing itself. I don't believe that I am doing the healing.

And in convincing oneself that one is raising one's own "power," or making one's soul somehow more "advanced," I sometimes fear that we miss a part of the pathway to healing.

And to me there is an aspect of meditation in performing self Reiki, or Reiki on someone else, a connection with the world around.

And here is what Hugh Milne wrote of meditation: "medication is not concentration. It is not prayer, contemplation, hypnosis, or problem-solving. Meditation is the fine art of being here now; of holding an empty sacred space, mind shut down (because your mind is not you, consciousness is you). This is Kensho: the awareness that consciousness is the thing to focus on, not mind. Mind is made up of thoughts, feelings, and sensations; consciousness is the ground from which the mind springs. Consciousness has no components. Meditation is the art of being at one with yourself, your surrounding, and the world."

From this quiet sacred space within, one "listens" best, and perceives more. With no vibration, no motion, no power - simply with being and intention, one changes the world that one is a part of and radiates healing and compassion.

1 comment:

  1. In an earlier version, i used a phrase "temporary reiju." Pamela Miles wrote to correct that, in pointing out that Reiju or attunement is viewed by most Reiki masters as a beneficial thing that stays with us. After reviewing this with one of my teachers, Rick Rivard I re wrote a segment of the blog. In Reiki, it is important to have ongoing support from teachers, and it is important to have respect for the tradition, and to pass it as accurately as we can. There is an importance to spreading compassion and healing in the world. This past weekend, my wife and I spent the weekend with dear friends, one of whom studied craniosacral with Hugh Milne. The subject fascinates me, I have heard some snipets from Larry Adams, one of Fritz Smith's most senior students. And last evening I had the opportunity to speak with a former student of Upledger's. If we can increase awareness to this superb work that is a wonderful intention. There is so much to learn!!!

    I am appreciative of all who share.

    ReplyDelete