Friday, January 1, 2010

Reiki and Being Grateful


In the past few days, much of my reflection has been on how genuinely fortunate I have been, and how grateful I am.
Family and friends have been a great source of support - and in my work, doing Hospice, and bringing Reiki into Hospice, I am surrounded by wonderful, compassionate and creative people.
Our Executive director has not only been supportive of me, and of our hospice program, but he has been leading a series of discussions of the impact of the ripples that flow from our actions, individual and collective.
Flying home a couple of days ago, looking down with a sense of awe at the clouds, and the ocean, I could neither generate or sustain a sense of self importance. If only each person could understand the vastness of creation, and accept being a connected part of it. And then light began pouring down from the heavens through the clouds to the earth, and I took my camera and shot this photo through the plane window.
I want to especially thank Louise Deville for her work as a hospice Reiki volunteer over the past year. Louise somehow manages to ignore her own disabilities, and to be a tireless and cheerful source of compassion for my patients, and at our Reiki share. Her humility matches her Reiki energy.
I want to thank Lorinda Weatherall for allowing me to read a book which she is working on. I am excited about the work that is being done, advancing the understanding of Reiki, and until Lorinda actually publishes this book (and I hope it is SOON!) check in on her website:
And both a thank you and a recognition to Pamela Miles, who has emailed ecouragement to me. Her website //reikiinmedicine.org/for-health-care-providers
both gives worthwhile advice and asks worthwhile questions. And her article reminds us that health care providers need to care for themselves first. How often, I have seen Nurses and Doctors and Social workers exhausting themselves by pouring energy into people they were caring for, without realizing the need to restore themselves. When we allow ourselves to burn out, we are less effective in making "ripples."
Pamela is scheduled to appear with Dr Oz January 10 - and the continuing discussion about and acceptance of complimentary techniques in end of life care (and in all stages of care) is exciting. Dr Oz is an articulate and credible physician.
Seeing the light coming down from high above through the clouds to the earth, in that moment, I felt a sense of awe and greatfulness. And at the same time rededication. Acts of kindness no longer seem "just random."

No comments:

Post a Comment