Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reiki meets an incredible person

Each day, we never know who we may meet, or what we may learn. Yesterday, several of us had a very moving experience. It will stay with us all for a long time.

I met a patient named Tim, and introduced myself to him as one of the doctors on our unit. Tim is a young man, and he is very wasted physically, but very mentally alive. He says he "has had more than his fair share of bad luck." He asked me, "Dr Bob, i need you to get me more pain medication, i'm having a lot of pain."

I told Tim that i would do that, but asked if he would let members of our Reiki share work with him first to try and relieve some of his pain. He agreed, and Diane, our visiting RM, along with Dottie and Louise and Tandra began working together in bringing Reiki energy to Tim.

I went off to teach some other members of the group, but returned to see how things were going. Tim was in a deep state of relaxation. He was not in pain, the change i was seeing was dramatic, and Tim allowed me to join in the Reiki. After awhile he said to me, "Dr Bob, i have been in and out of Hospitals, and this is the first time i have felt that anyone cared about me as a human being. These ladies, doing Reiki, have made me feel that someone cares about me."

I said to Tim, "you are a child of God, and God loves you, and we care about you." And he said, "now i know that God loves me."

We had not given him more morphine, but he was comfortable. He asked that we visit him and do Reiki with him again before he left on Thursday. He wanted to be at home for as much time as he had.

I stopped back to the unit today - it was not my day to be on the unit, but i wanted to see Tim one more time before he went home. "Hi Dr Bob, thank you for coming back to see me. Those ladies doing Reiki yesterday, they really made me feel better."

Tim said "I'm cold," so Michele and i covered him up with a blanket, and then with his permission we did Reiki. He went into a state of deep relaxation. And i said, "Good bye."

This is a very brave young man. He has had a lot of "hard luck," has suffered a lot, but right now, is grateful for whatever is done for him, and not worrying about the future, as he says, "now i know God loves me. He sent people who cared for me."

As a doctor, i know it is a wonderful thing when we can cure a patient's illness, but, that is not always the case. When we cannot cure someone though, we can continue to care. Somehow, that fact is not always learned in "evidence based training." Reiki helps us do that, i cannot prove it with an "evidence based study," but i know from patients like Tim, that "Yes we Can" continue to care.

I will remember this brave young man. And i ask that those reading this message today, send distant Reiki energy to Tim, and to all those persons who feel alone, and without hope. Send Reiki to let them know that there are those who care.

No comments:

Post a Comment