Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Life is a Gift

I received an email from Judy, one of our nurses, and it touched me as being part of the heart and soul of hospice, as well as my Reiki method. So i asked for her permission to include her note in my Blog.





Thought I'd share something with you all, since I was kind of surprised
when just seeing the email that Ms. Campbell died today. When I saw
her for Jen about 2 of weeks ago, Ms. Campbell looked at me and said, "So...how much time do you think I have...2 weeks?"

I was surprised she said that, since she looked fairly "stable." My answer was not exact, since I don't feel comfortable giving a definite time. I tried to reassure her that we'd just take things day by day and she seemed comforted by that answer.


With many of our patients, they do seem to "know" when their time has come, and with this case, she really did know.

Just a reminder to us all how "precious" those last days/weeks are for our patients, and how it's not a coincidence that they die on certain dates or predict a certain time to leave this world. Life is a gift.
Take care,
Judy
Judy H. Johnson, RN, BSN, CHPN
Resource Nurse
Seasons Hospice and Palliative Care--Baltimore cell (443)615-4169

No comments:

Post a Comment