Saturday, December 13, 2008

Working with Patients

Working with Patients by Dr. Harold Bob
In seeking a Reiki Master/Teacher for myself, I spoke with many Reiki practitioners and Reiki masters who were highly talented in their intuition. It became apparent that in teaching Reiki in the traditional way, teachers sometimes do not deal with the significant differences that occur for highly intuitive people who can channel naturally. Understanding what they can do, and why some things which can be done should not be done, is more important for more intuitive channels. And then again, higher level masters working with spiritual energy can sometimes attain incredible, seemingly miraculous results.In asking patients for permission to work with them and provide Reiki, I also ask prior to starting Upekkha Reiki © about their own spiritual beliefs, or religious orientation. It is critical in end of life to work with the strengths and values of the patient, and zero out the belief structures of the Reiki Practitioner. This is a part of the grounding that must be done in preparation when we facilitate Reiki for the dying.Recently I worked with a patient who was dying, and asked for her permission to perform Reiki for her. I asked her if she had religious training, and it turned out that she was a devout Catholic. As I began to work with her, she experienced intense warmth channeling through my hands, and i assured her it was not coming from me, and asked her if she was experiencing Jesus or Mary, the ascendant beings who she had prayed to her whole life. She closed her eyes, and started speaking - though not to me, "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen. "There is an Apache tradition that, as human beings enter the world, the Great Spirit chooses their tribe. God chose for me to be Jewish, and that is what I am in my own private moments, and with my family. Yet, when i am a channel for another human being, especially a person near death, i channel only for them - whatever is occurring is not about me - it is only passing through me.Not so long ago, I was at a patient's home, and the patient was dying of Parkinson's disease and dementia. There was no cure that we could use within traditional medicine, the patient's neurologist had told the family he was dying. My task was to make him comfortable, and work with the patient and family in coping with the transition and the loss. The family was very religious and wanted to speak about God, as they passed through "the valley of the shadow of death." As I left, they said to me, "we are so glad we could finally speak with a Dr who is a Christian." I had no need to talk about my own identity in that moment - i was there in service of them, in accord with what Hospice and Chaplaincy and Upekkha Reiki (c) mean at end of life. It is reminescent of the surgeon who saved President Reagan's life (he the surgeon a life long voting Democrat) saying after surgery, "right now we are all Republicans."In working with Jewish patients, respect of Jewish tradition and values is important. A Jewish person may connect directly to God, or through the "bond of Eternal life" with the Patriarchs (Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob) and the Matriarchs (Sarah, Rebecca, Leah and Rachel). I (Dr. Bob) have seen Christian Chaplains leave aside their own ministries, and serve instead the ministry of God the Creator, who in her/his wisdom made us each in a different way, and served Jewish tradition. And Islamic and Buddhist values must be respected and valued. The point being, in living the last part of one's life, near "transition," if a Reiki Practitioner can assist in channeling Upekkha Reiki ©, it should be only in accord with the life and values of the consciousness that is evolving on.To be a witness to such a moment, to be allowed to be present, is itself a great and humbling honor. The importance of being a humble channel, of being properly grounded, of having respect for the soul and consciousness who is in transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment